CLASSIC BULGARIAN RECIPES FOR THE MODERN COOK

Friday, June 30, 2017

Bulgaria? What are we going to eat there?!!

Upon my recent return from Europe, a coworker of mine expressed his interest in visiting Bulgaria. He had been suggesting a vacation to the Eastern European country for the past few years, but his wife had been strongly against, mostly worried about the food they would have to eat while in Bulgaria.

Naturally I asked if she was worried because of certain dietary restrictions and when the answer was "No, just the taste and types of food", I wondered what "types" that would be. As it turned out, he didn't have an idea what Bulgarian's diet looks like either. So I had to ask if she liked Greek, Turkish, Middle Eastern or Mediterranean Cuisines. The answer was affirmative to all of the above. 

Well then, for those of you who know anything about Bulgarian cuisine and it's health benefits, you know that anyone who loves one or more of the above mentioned culinary traditions is in for a treat if they were to have the opportunity to try authentic Bulgarian dishes, as for those of you who do not - this blog is for you. An introduction to a hidden culinary gem and largely unknown (unfortunately) in North America cuisine, that combines the flavors and many of the cooking traditions of the Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Oriental and Slavic Cuisines. 

I did assure my coworker that him and his wife would love Bulgarian food and that we do have pizza and burgers in Bulgaria as well (yes, there is McDonalds even there), in case they do not prefer the local traditional flavors, but I am yet to meet an American who has tasted and not loved Bulgarian dishes.  

My next stop was Barnes & Noble. Two books I found, both in the system, first on custom order, hence not eligible for returns and the second relatively new, but a combination of Romanian and Bulgarian recipes with less than stellar reviews when it comes to the authenticity of the Bulgarian dishes from American readers, who have visited the country.  One of the reviews mentioned the need for a personal adviser in order to make sure dishes turn out right and another stressed on the fact that the recipes, while Bulgarian inspired and still tasty, were quite different from what you would experience if you were to try those same dishes in Bulgaria. 

I have since found some more books on Amazon, and I would certainly encourage anyone adventurous enough to try the recipes in any of them, certain that the flavors would not disappoint, as I have spent the past 17 years in the United States and am quite familiar with the North American diet and tastes. Reading about the need for a personal adviser to ensure that recipes come out right, however, gave me a thought. It is true that while quite tasty when prepared correctly, Bulgarian recipes, not unlike any other recipe out there, regardless of the country it came from, could go terribly wrong if the ingredients and/or instructions are not quite right or easy to follow. 

So here I am - your very own Bulgarian Culinary Personal Adviser aka BCPA :) - watching The Golden Girls, (don't laugh, I do love that show) and working on my first blog post of what is hopefully to turn into a collection of authentic traditional recipes with step by step instructions and a place where food lovers could exchange experiences, tips & tricks and ideas for modern twists on classic European dishes.  Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have regarding Bulgarian food, regardless of where you have found the recipe you are up against. 

I am not a chef, but I love culinary arts and have been cooking since I was 9 years old, learning from my mother, my grandmothers, my aunts and even on occasion the men in my family, for in Bulgaria food is a family affair, it is a part of our culture, it embodies our love for each other, and the love for the land we have inherited - a land of centuries old traditions and tales of turbulent history, a land rich on organic products, mineral springs and fertile soil, a land we have proudly called Bulgaria for over 1336 years. So if you are up for it I would love to guide you on your road to discovery of the exotic flavors of Bulgaria. 





No comments:

Post a Comment